Sunday, September 8, 2013

Krishna Kashiwala

Hello everyone!

My name is Krishna Kashiwala. I was born in Queens, New York City, but I spent 3 and half years of my early childhood in India without my parents and with my younger brother my grandparents, my Aunts and Uncles, and my cousins. I recieved a taste of cultural differences at a very early age. At the same time, it taught me what it meant to be an American with a strong ethnic background. The values I have gained being brought up in an American-Indian household has given me the strength to accept my Indian heritage and respect my American culture. Although it hasn't been easy I have grown up wanting to give back to a nation that has provided me with so much knowledge and for accepting me as one of their own.

 I am a senior graduating in May of the coming school year, double majoring in Political Science and Journalism. I eventually want to graduate from law school. Although I have no intentions of practicing law afterwards, I want to work for our government. Last year, I did my fellowship with Polaris Project. An organization that has vowed to combat modern-day slavery -Human Trafficking in the United States. I spent a week in Washington DC at our organization's headquarters training in the field of Human Trafficking. At Polaris I worked with survivors helping them assimilate back into society. Currently I am volunteer with the organization. I also worked in the Woodbridge Township Prosecutor's office as an Intern for 6 months.

My interest in law sparked after my grandfather's death in 2002. My grandfather, my father figure, was the Union Leader of all of Gujarat (state in India). He spent his entire life fighting for human rights. His influence and his beliefs sparked a desire in me to give back as much as I could.

Media has been an important outlet in not just sharing information but in spreading awareness. Especially about issues surrounding humanity. An example would be Nicholas Kristof's columns and blog.

After graduating I want to either work for the FBI or the Department of Homeland Security and eventually study for my JD. I am planning on taking my LSATs in February.

I am also currently working on my Honors Senior Thesis/Project. My Project is a narrative on a Bollywood actress who left stardom back in India and runs a dance school in Central Jersey. The project will highlight her transition from fame to becoming an ordinary American citizen. The project will be a combination of an article and a documentary film.

I am looking forward to learning about media and culture. This semester is going to be very very interesting.

The following picture was taken by my brother Shivam Kashiwala who recently contracted for the United States Air Force. The photo is a reminder that the Future is in our hands and through our eyes. It's what we do with our vision that will take us forward. 

1 comment: