Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What the Heck is Going On?




My blog's concept - what the heck is going on -  is to incorperate informational vegetables with informational desert. As part of Generation Y, I find that the concept is meshing fun with news seems incomprehensible. My blog is tailored for Generation Y news consumption. By utilizing different social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter,  news can live in a transmedia fashion. I take topics in the news and break them down in a way that "we could all like, totally understand." I have a hashtag #wtheckisgoingon and consumers can tweet me to explain news topics for them on my blog. Everything is interactive - from TV shows, radio, and beyond. I believe that news can also be interactive. It can also be a way to hold journalists accountable for their work - including the citizen journalist.


The Associated Press
The New York Times
The New York Times video
Kids React
The Washington Post
Pew Research Center
NPR
NPR Fresh Air
The Atlantic
The Nation
The Wall Street Journal
Reuters
The New Yorker
Buzzfeed
National Post

Since I believe that society is becoming image oriented, I've incorporated entertaining memes as well as informational graphs that look pretty and are easy to follow.  I also use contemporary examples to explain what would be considered media jargon for Generation Y. For example, I used Spongebob to explain what a Tea Party Republican is.

My theories are similar to that of many people we've learned about over the course of the semester. Similarly, to Steven Johnson's "Everything Bad is Good For You" - I think that people also learn a variety of different ways, even when they're not aware. In my opinion, that's the best way to learn. 

The blog will live on past the semester. As an aspiring journalist, my mission is to inform the public, and this is one way to do it. The internet will be the future of journalism and we need to utilize it the best way we can. 





No comments:

Post a Comment