Tuesday, December 3, 2013

TIMELESS FASHION FT.

Most online fashion blogs and magazines look like this:
Screenshot of a profile on Fashionistas.com, a fashion blog
Question and Answer portions are B O R I N G !
WHO WORE IT BETTER? WHO CARES?!

DO YOU SEE ANY SIMILARITIES?

These posts are minimal and really simplistic. It doesn't really show a sense of story or depth behind its characters. Q&A portions and clippings with titles such as "Who Wore It Better?" seem so easy to do. You ask the questions and you get the answer. You find two different people and compare them. fair enough, but it seems too easy. I believe there is a way to make Q&As more interesting. 

I created a blog called Timeless Fashion FT (Timeless Fashion Featuring...), that exemplifies how a section on an online fashion magazine would look like when there is a sense of story and depth behind the people and their responses. This section features women and their daily wardrobe inspirations while shedding light on fashion struggles faced by women today. 

Each person featured answered the same five questions:



1. How would you describe your style?
2. What inspires your daily wardrobe?
3. How do you feel about repeating trends?
4. What do you think are some fashion struggles women face today? (ie. men's wear, "hipster," is army print a fashion statement or offensive? Skinny petite vs fat.) Please expand.
5. Who are some fashion icons you adore? (ie. Rosie the Riveter, June Cleaver, Marilyn Monroe) Why?


As a writer and an aspiring fashion journalist, I took the answers and wrote articles with stories that can relate to other young girls. Depending on the answers I received, I searched for sources that can support what the responses I got. I think by doing this, it added a sense of depth to my articles. There are a lot of fashion blogs and fashion sections out there but what makes my fashion section different to others is that there is a sense of difficulty and depth to the story articles I wrote.

I originally wanted to attach myself to a brand for its fan-base, consistent followers, viewership and content layout. But by doing that, I did not have the freedom to write the articles that I wanted to write. I had to work around the owner's schedule. So this is my proposal to the owner of that brand if I were to pitch this section idea to her.

I used Tumblr as my platform to blog because even though I may not get 1,000 viewership, there would still be some viewership and followers. I made a "submit" option on the blog, so when there are girls that want to be featured, they can! I also made a Twitter (@TimelessFashFT) as another platform to link my posts and further expand my brand.

WHY ARE YOU NOT FOLLOWING IT YET?

BE FEATURED HERE




SOURCES:

Tumblr

Twitter

Calderin, Jay. Form, Fit, Fashion. (Rockport Publishers, 2009).

Gay, Kathlyn. Body Image and Appearance: The Ultimate Teen Guide. (Scarecrow Press, 2009).

Gibson, Pamela Church. Fashion and Celebrity Culture. (Berg, 2012).

Hill, Daniel Delis. As Seen in Vogue: A Century of American Fashion in Advertising. (Texas Tech University Press, 2007).

Lipovetsky, Gilles. Empire de L'éphémère. (Princeton University Press, 1994).

Maggie Wykes. The Media and Body Image: If Looks Could Kill. (SAGE Publications, 2005). 159.

Moseley, Rachel. Growing Up With Audrey Hepburn: Text, Audience, Resonance. (Manchester University Press, 2002).
Freedman, David H. Wrong: Why Experts* Keep Failing Us -- And How to Know When Not to Trust Them. (Little, Brown & Company, 2010).

Woodward, Sophie. Why Women Wear What They Wear. (Berg, 2007).







No comments:

Post a Comment