Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What the Heck is Going On?

Kristine Villanueva
My blog is called wtheckisgoingon.tumblr.com 


I think the premise of my blog title encompasses people's thoughts on the news. What exactly is going on? With each passing day, it becomes increasingly difficult for some to follow big stories. Information becomes too hard to swallow. My blog is a way to mediate news and break it down for people who don't have the time to pick apart articles or complicated topics. Simplicity is key, especially when it comes to people of my generation. It's hard to spot a twenty year old holding a newspaper.

People have turned from print media to internet. Blogging is a good way to target my audience, especially since society seems to have replaced their newspapers with tablets and cellphones. Blogging is easily accessible. I believe our society now looks for aesthetic appeal. My layout has a banner that stands out, but the rest is minimalist to allow the posts to stick out and so that readers are not overwhelmed by graphics. By coupling interesting images with blog posts, I think people will be more inclined to read a few paragraphs. I will also be utilizing graphs and images to explain the news. Some of these graphs come from articles I've read or from Poynter or Pew Research Center.
One example is this:






Also, humor and tone in writing will make for interesting pieces. Blogging is an entirely different culture to that of traditional media. Therefore, written pieces can have more satirical, comical, or critical edge. Similar to the Onion and Gawker, I write eye popping headlines.

My blog also has information about the changing mediascape and demographics. I don't think people not only need to know what's going on, but how information will be presented in the future. I will be pulling information from credible news sources such as The New York Times,
The Washington Post and The Associated Press. My blog also includes reblogs from other tumblrs that cover the news such as politicalfreakshow, lolgovernment, and diegueno.

My staff consists of writers:


Jay Patel
Pao Ling Lopez
Kadyanne Ressaissi
Sumyia Dabney
Joseph De Guzman

Graphic Designer

Karen Cunanan



No comments:

Post a Comment