Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Final Project- Open Doors Open Eyes



As a common spectator, it is generally very hard to try understand Fine Art, when you have not been apart of that complex world. It is like trying to understand the musical reasoning behind Bach, Haydn, or Mozart's symphonies; one must study and be prepared to dive into the musicians world. I may not have all of the basics of the art culture but because Newark has opened the gates in presenting numerous art galleries for the publics viewing pleasure, I will take full advantage of the opportunity not only to explore for my self, but also to expose this beautiful majestic world to others. 


My thesis:
To promote and market the up and coming Newark art scene through the creation of a blog and vlog linked to the activities of the Barat Foundation, Newark Art Council, and Peekz Art Shop.

What Will Make Me Different:
What will set my blog different from the rest is the vlog aspect of presenting the newark art scene. Also I understand that their is a new history that is being created and it must be marketed to a more youthful audience as well as to the established art lovers and creators. I will be informative yet their will be a sense of humor and realism. I will be the voice of the common observer. My interviews with different artists will be filmed and edited documentary style to profile the artists and their work that is observed at each exhibit. My vlog will focus on my personal experience and critical observations. The blog will summarize the events that are attended and provide links for each web viewer to connect with the artists and their works themselves.

Competitors:
Art F City is the most popular NYC blog in which they do not just focus on art work. They feautre artists, talk about art galleries that are closing. This is their main focus:

"Art F City supports emerging artists and critical writers by exposing them to a broader and underserved audience through informed, straightforward discussion. We are committed to educating young writers in the practice of art criticism."Art F City

Art Vlogger Lena Danya is a literal artists and blogger with almost 20,000 views on her latest youtube entry. Her humor cuts through the intensity many assume artists naturally have when it comes to their personalities. She has a cat that she dances with. She takes breaks and plays music. She makes fun of the construction going on outside of her home when she's trying to concentrate. She is also painting which is sped up when not dancing and making jokes. By the end of her 3 minute vlog a beautiful piece has been created. Lena Danya's Vlog

Vlogger Jay Smooth is another person that I am learning from as far as style and how to present the content that I would like to talk about. It's genius that he admits to being shy but he's able to eloquently present his ideas in an entertaining manner. Ill Doctrine Vlog

I want to pull from both of the Vloggers formats, quick cuts, and humor and my own personal approach. This will attract a younger audience to get into the Newark art scene. Specifically, hip-hop and poetry are also apart of some of the the different art exhibits that are occurring in which I can highlight all of the art forms that are being displayed.

What I have Already Started Working on:
Thursday October 10th, I attended the opening reception of Gallery Aferro hosted by the Newark Art Council's Open Doors 2013. The event was amazing. I made multiple connections throughout the evening and I have discussed with executive director Linwood Oglesby of the Newark Arts Council about having an exclusive meeting and interview with him. We will talk about what he believes is necessary to promote the up and coming art district that Newark has now established.

I am also in talks with Patricia A. Reynolds a current Rutgers-Newark Fine Art major who is extremely passionate about everything that is occurring in Newark. She is already hands on with creating a mural near the Rutgers Newark campus for the Art and Peace Parade with the Barat Foundation.  I will document and blog about her experience with that project. I will be apart of her team as the blogger for all of the events that occur in Newark. We will be working hand in hand to market not just the Newark art scene but also her contributing jewelry line that consists of her own personal art work and jewelry.

Ms. Reynolds and I will have a sit down meeting and interview with Barat Foundation President Gary Barat. She has worked with the Barat Foundation for 2 years. They have been around for 6 years working with the children throughout the city of Newark. Their goal is this:

"

The Barat Method expands formal academic study to include personal and cultural exchange and communication through artistic expression. Each student is empowered with a more profound sense of self, an ability to break comfort zone barriers, and the ability to interact within a group as both an individual and a team member. "Barat Foundation



In a brief Interview with Patricia A. Reynolds she states:

"People don't know why I'm so passionate about this parade because people always think of Newark as such a dangerous place. They don't know whats going on in the heart of Newark and when I say the heart of Newark I mean the artist's and their work."

When I asked her what was necessary to advance marketing the Newark Art Scene she replied:

"I think journalist need to be at these events to interview the different artists. You guys are going to get that raw feed back that the Barat Foundation cannot get. It's also so important to get the word out because people from around the world are finally finding out about Newark and this new scene."

I interviewed Puerto Rican American artist Jo- El Lopez. He is originally from Patterso, NJ. The three main themes that I observed were urban youth and portraying them in a different light than what America does. Historical events that displayed people of color in power and Immigration through the eyes of his Puerto Rican heritage. His work is displayed below:




I also had a quick talk with Piotr Czerwinski who recently ventured to America from Poland looking for a better life as an artist.

"A friend told me that their was a new community of artists on the rise in Newark, New Jersey. I met some people over time and now I will be moving to Newark from Piscataway in two weeks."said Piotr His art work displayed below are oil paintings.

"My work is inspired by spontaneous 'notes' that translate and archive my personal intuitive experiences and perceptions of shapes, structures, and color that I find in nature."- Newark Arts Council Write Up



My Final Work Will Be a MASTER PIECE!!!!:
Although the Newark Open Doors event ends Saturday their are several exhibits that will remain open until December. I will have a lot of material to compile over the next three months and it will be entertaining and beneficial to the people of Newark, the artists that display their works in Newark, and to the foundations and other companies that are always looking to promote the expansion of their businesses to this flourishing art community.

Resources:
Ill Doctrine Vlog
Barat Foundation
Lena Danya's Vlog
Art F City
Newark Art Council: Piotr Czerwinski: Apres Moi, le Deluge: Solo Series, October 2013: Print

No comments:

Post a Comment