Monday, October 14, 2013

Jason Collins a Life Behind the Scenes

Eddie Spitaletta
Semester Project Proposal

Growing up and being a huge sports fan I have decided to do a news report on Jason Collins. Collins was the first openly gay male athlete to come out in public. Yes it is a touchy subject but considering it has to do with sports it is actually a huge and interesting story. I want to explain the hardships that gay male professional athletes face. The hidden secret that athletes have in order to fit in with the other players on the team. Also how athletes want to come out openly but are afraid to. I want to act as a news anchor and film myself reporting on this story. Making sure its 100% professional, I will wear a suit and make it look like I am on TV.



Jason Collins on the left and U.S Rep Joe Kennedy III
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jason_collins/ start at 2.30


Here is a little background information on Jason Collins. Jason Collins was born on December 2, 1978, in Northridge, California. After playing basketball with his twin brother, Jarron, in high school and at Stanford University, Collins developed into a capable NBA defender for multiple teams. On April 29, 2013, he became the first active male athlete in the four major North American professional sports to publicly admit his homosexuality.



"Collins states "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."
I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons."



I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

No one wants to live in fear. I've always been scared of saying the wrong thing. I don't sleep well. I never have. But each time I tell another person, I feel stronger and sleep a little more soundly. It takes an enormous amount of energy to guard such a big secret. I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew. And yet when I acknowledged my sexuality I felt whole for the first time. I still had the same sense of humor, I still had the same mannerisms and my friends still had my back.


I hope that Collins remarkable story inspires other gay athletes to come out and be brave like him. It is really important for anybody to be true to themselves. We live in society where people are starting to be strong and   accepting themselves for who they are. If you cant live with yourself then life isn't worth living. Collins story will inspire more athletes to be able to live with themselves.

Overall
I want to share Jason Collins remarkable story because it took tremendous courage. He should be looked at as a role model for people who unsure of themselves.

Recourses 




No comments:

Post a Comment